Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Zoo Lights

From Zoo Lights '0...


From Zoo Lights '0...


From Zoo Lights '0...


So I went to Zoo Lights in Portland last night with my friend (I almost used the adjective 'old' there in front of friend, then sub-consciously shied away because of what it would imply about me) PAgent.

I'd never been to this wonder before and it was the last opportunity I had time to spend time with the Agent Family before I headed to Australia. It is an exceptionally impressive, nearly magical, transformation of the Portland Zoo into a display of Christmas light that is pretty amazing.

These photos don't really begin to capture it, because they were taken with the camera on my cell phone, but over and above that, there is so much coordinated movement in the lights that you'd need to be a great photographer (which I would never claim to be) to get things to turn out, I think. I prefer: point, shoot, look, delete, repeat until desire results are approximated, not necessarily achieved. But these will give you some idea of the effects.

Of the ancient craft of the Lightner, those mythic folk who revel in the placement and operation of Christmas tree lights, there is no higher example.

No comments: