Monday, December 11, 2006

Post NYC Post

OK, so I got home late on Saturday night and had a bit of work to do yesterday that prevented me from posting but I just wanted to wrap up the NYC posts with a couple thoughts. One thought is just a list of languages I heard while in NYC:

  • Spanish
  • German
  • Russian
  • Chinese
  • French
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Igbo and two other African dialects I couldn't place
  • Persian Farsi
  • Hebrew/Yiddish
  • Creole
  • Polish
  • Ukranian
  • 2 Others I couldn't identify
So my question is this: If a city as big, and complicated can be the home to so many different people that these languages (and their attached belief systems and customs) can be found in a city that runs as (relatively) smoothly as NYC does, what the heck is the rest of the world doing wrong that we can't all get along as well as New Yorkers?

It's a melting pot. It's always been a melting pot. I hope it always remains a melting pot.

No comments: