Wednesday, January 24, 2007

An Atypical Entry

As I have been tagged by the PAgent man, I feel required to post my book entry. Now, you understand that I am 'on the road' for several months and while my abode here in Australia is comfortable and very pleasant, it is also somewhat spartan. And I brought few books with me. When the call came from the PAgent that I had duties to perform, vis a' vis this book list, the only things on the desk at that moment were:

a) a Sydney phonebook

and

b) a guidebook to Australia, which, on page 123 had listings for hotels, none of which seemed that pertinent to my struggle to be interesting (in fact, the entry was much like that in 'a' above.)

So I got some books that we will be reading here in the program I am in and I selected one, more or less at random and performed the rituals. I now give you the entrails of the literary bird I have split open at the behest of PAgent:

"Assessing pedagogical effect is never easy. The only attempt to do so for catechetical instruction during this period has been for Lutheran parts of Germany. It led to negative conclusions, hotly contested, and to the surmise that an examination of catechesis in Catholic Bavaria would show the same results."

From John O'Malley's The First Jesuits.

And so it is complete. Read the Oracle as you will.

For my tagging, I choose:

1) Hog
2) SPU
3) Chuck D. (the attorney, not the one from Public Enemy)

Those NOT having blogs of their own may post in my comments. The rules, gents, are simple:

1) Find the nearest book
2) Open to page 123
3) Type lines 6-8 of said book
4) Tag three others

You have been tagged. Proceed at your peril.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

First of al...what the hell is all this about?
Here you go...
Chance was asked whether he would want to add his vote to Sappiaoni's supporters, he answered, "Absolutly not; for if he were Pope, he would surely suppress the Jesuits."

On The Suppression of the SOJ
Guilio Cesare Cordara, S.J.

OK Jack, now what?
Blogless in Portland

HOG said...

OK, now this is a head scratcher. What does this do for me? You? Anyone?

In any case:

"Given the size of the employment base, the unrelenting job losses related to the global race to the bottom have strengthened the political voice of the industry, as the 'groans of the weavers" have become both louder and more sophisticated."

The Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy
by Pietra Rivoli

Unknown said...

So, if we're supposed to pick page 123, then shouldn't it be lines 4 and 5? Why the skip to lines 6 thru 8? And who made up these crazy rules anyway?

OK, now that I've had a deep, cleansing rant:

"Most of the volunatry associations that Franklin had thus far formed - the Junto, library, philosophical society, even fire squad - had not usurped the the core functions of government".

Benjamin Franklin, An American Life
by Walter Isaacson